Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Bran Muffins

I know, I know. Visions of cardboard. What will I think of next? How to dehydrate your own prunes? Trust me! They are good!

In the quest for more fiber in my diet I noticed there were limits on what I was willing to eat. I also noticed you cannot go to the grocery store and buy wheat bran. Nope. I further noted all of the recipes I could find called for Wheat Bran Cereal. I modified the chosen recipe and here's what I came up with:

Muffins:
1 3/4 c. Bran Flakes
1 C. buttermilk
1 egg - beaten
3 Tbsp. Vegetable oil
1 C. flour - I used 1/2 wheat and 1/2 white but you can use all white
1/3 c. packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp. ground cinnamon

Topping:
3/4 c. Bran Flakes crusted to equal 1/3 c.
3 Tbsp. packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp. butter, melted

To prepare muffins: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare muffin cups with paper or grease. Combine cereal, buttermilk, egg and oil in a bowl. Let stand for 5 minutes. Stir to break up cereal. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and cinnamon in separate bowl. Add cereal mixture all at once to flour mixture, stirring just until combined. (Batter will be thick). Divide evenly among prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle with topping. Bake 20 - 25 minutes or until tester inserted in center comes out clean.

To prepare topping: Combine cereal, sugar and butter; mix well; divide evenly over muffins.

No comments: