Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Apple Sauce

This is my first year putting up apple sauce.  I used Jonathan apples at the advise of the nice lady at the fruit stand in Willard.  I purchased one case and it did 16 pints.  I like to bake with applesauce so I did some without the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg or vanilla.  Truthfully I tasted both and they were awesome. 

*Disclaimer:  this makes a sticky mess, but it's worth it*

24 large apples
1/2 cup tap water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup granulated sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Peel, core and thinly slice apples. Place apples into a large stock pot with water and lemon juice. Cook covered until tender, about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. When apples are tender, put into food processor until desired texture.  Put back into put and add granulated sugar, ground cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla extract and continue to cook until sugar dissolves. Spoon hot mixture into hot jars, to within 1/2" head space, release air bubbles, clean rims and seal. Process in water bath canner for 20 minutes for pints and 30 minutes for quarts.

No comments: