Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Store bought cake mixes with a kick and vanilla buttercream frosting

For the last week of our cake decorating class I chose to try a cake that was not from scratch but was still amazing.  Generally I prefer to make my own from scratch but loved the time I saved using the mix.

1 yellow cake mix
1 c. water, room temperature
4 eggs, room temperature
1/4 c. vanilla yogurt
1 small box lemon instant pudding **any flavor of pudding can be used to adjust the flavor**
1 Tbsp canola oil
1/2 c. butter, softened
1/4 c. flour (Utah's altitude adjustment)

Sift dry ingredients together.  Add wet ingredients and mix for 3 minutes.  Do NOT over mix.  Bake as the package directs.

You could also use a devil foods cake and chocolate or chocolate fudge pudding.

For white cake:
White cake mix
1 c. vanilla yogurt
1/2 c. milk
1/3 c. oil
2 eggs

Same instructions as above.

Not much different than last week but I did try some alterations I found here on the decorator icing.  It's also a great site for supplies.  Americolor food coloring has become my favorite thanks to them.  It has no taste and I LOVE that it's a gel but is disbursed in squeeze form.

1/2 c. butter, softened
1/2 c. shortening
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. creme bouquet flavoring
1 tsp. almond extract
2 lbs powdered sugar
5-6 Tbsp milk (adjust for consistency)

Cream together butter and shortening.  Add extracts and flavorings.  Add powdered sugar alternating with 1 Tbsp of milk to desired consistency

No comments: