Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Tomato pie

I have about a million tomatoes coming on right now... Ok maybe I exaggerate.... This being the case I took to Pinterest for a use and came across tomato pie from Tastes better from scratch.  I had never tried such a thing but it sounded great to me with a few changes.

5 tomatoes, peeled and sliced
10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
1/2 c. chopped green onion
1 c. grated mozzarella
1 c. Monterey jack
3/4 c. mayo
2 Tbsp Parmesan
1 tsp minced garlic
salt and pepper

7 pre-baked deep dish pie shell


Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Place tomatoes in a coandar in sink.  Sprinkle with salt and allow to drain for at least 15 minutes.  Blot juice with paper towel.  The less juice the better otherwise you'll have soggy pie.

Layer tomatoes, basil, and onion, then repeat.  I did 3 layers.  Season with pepper (not salt or you'll be too salty since you used salt above)

Combine the mayo, garlic and first 2 cheeses in a both then put onto pie

Sprinkle with Parmesan

Bake for 30 minutes and serve warm.

tips:

I sliced then realized I didn't peel.  Not good.  Peeling is important.  If necessary, blanche them for a minute in boiling water until the skin bursts then they will be easier to peel.

I used salt and pepper on the pie but it was too salty because of all of the salt from the previous step

My pie was juicy because I didn't let the tomatoes sit long enough/or blot with a paper towel

Bake your pie shell, other wise it takes double the time.

That being said, even with the mistakes I made it was still yummy.  Yummy enough for seconds so I might also add, it is supposed to make 6 slices but we only made 4 and it was gone between the 2 of us...  =)

No comments: