Thursday, January 12, 2017

Chicken Tikka Masala

I had never tried Indian food until I met my husband and he has me hooked.  I think I was afraid because I had a perception that it would be too hot.  That is absolutely not the case.  You can make (or order) it as hot as you like.    My tastes are  wimpy so rest assured this is not a hot recipe but you can make it hotter if you like.  The other thing I love is this is a crock pot recipe.

Ingredients:
2 pounds chicken ( I just use 2 frozen chicken breasts)
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves minced garlic
2 Tbsp fresh grated ginger
29 oz. can tomato sauce
1 Tbsp Garam masala
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp coriander
2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp tumeric
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (this is where you can add more if you like it spicier)
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 bay leaves
1 c. heavy cream
2 Tbsp cornstarch
juice from 1/2 lemon

Mix all onion, garlic, tomato sauce and seasonings in the crock pot.  Add chicken and make sure it is coated with mixture.  Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.  When done, combine heavy cream and cornstarch in bowl.  Remove chicken and cut it into bite size pieces.  Whisk cream mixture into sauce then add chicken.  Cook on high for additional 15 minutes.  Add lemon juice and mix well.  Serve over rice.  Jasmine is my preference.


No comments: