Monday, January 23, 2017

Pot roast 2 ways

I have 2 different ways that I make my roasts.  I always used to crock pot my roasts but now that I have more time in the day and my hubby bought me a Lodge Dutch Oven in bright red, I have a new favorite way.  I have found that chuck roasts make the best roast so that is my go to cut but you can use any roast.

Crock Pot method:

I put some olive oil into a pan.  I sprinkle the roast with tenderizer (if I have it), garlic powder, onion powder, and season salt on all sides to taste.  Then I sear the roast for a few minutes on all sides.  I know it's tempting to skip this step and with some roasts it won't matter but I have found it does really make a more tender roast because it keeps the moisture in.

Next I put an onion soup mix in the crock pot and add enough water to cover the roast about half way. Put the roast in and let it go on low for 6-8 hours.  Super easy.

Oven method:

I can't take credit for this recipe.  I love PW and adapted this from her.

Ingredients:
chuck roast
2 large potatoes peeled and cubed
2 c. mini carrots cut into bite size pieces
2 onions halved
1 tsp. rosemary
1 tsp. thyme
4 c. beef broth or 3 c. beef broth and 1 c. red wine
2 Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper

Season roast with salt and pepper

Heat olive oil in dutch oven over medium high heat.  Add onions to brown then set aside.  Add carrots to brown and set aside. Add potatoes to brown then set aside. Add more olive oil and brown roast on all sides.  Deglaze pt with 1 c. beef broth or red wine.  Make certain to scrape up all the bits on the bottom since that is where the flavor lies.  Put the veggies back into the pot then the roast on top.  Cover with enough broth to cover the roast half way.  Sprinkle herbs over the roast.  Cover and cook at 275 degrees for 4 hours.

No comments: