Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Sweet tea

Well after 15 plus years my ice tea machine has given out on me and in looking at the new ones they are garbage and will never last that long.  It sent me on a quest for an ice tea recipe that wasn't too time consuming.  I have tried sun tea but it is never strong enough so off to pinterest I went.  I like my tea sweet but not Southern sweet.  If you've been to the South you know what I mean.  My recipe calls for about 1/4 of the sugar the original recipe called for.  You can add more to you liking but for me this is just right.  Also, my hubby will drink tea but he likes is Southern so I make a simple syrup and keep it in the fridge so he can add more sweet.  I'll include that recipe at the end.  IF you even want to call it a recipe.

12 regular or 3 family size tea bags
1/2 c. sugar
1 gallon water
1/4 tsp baking soda

Boil 1/2 gallon water to rolling boil then pour into one gallon or larger pitcher.

Add tea bags and baking soda.  No need to stir.

Let steep for 15 minutes.

Remove tea bags letting them drip for a bit but don't squeeze.

Add sugar and stir until well mixed.

Add remaing water (cold preferably) and stir again.

Done and done.


Here is the recipe (such that it is) for the simple syrup.  I keep it in the fridge for a month or so and if by some miracle that is some left I throw it out and make a new batch.

Simple Syrup

Boil equal parts water and sugar until clear.

No comments: