Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Sweet and Sour Pork

Raise your hand if your old enough to remember Uncle Leo's.  I loved that place.  There is no where around to get shrimp that good.  There is a website on Facebook dedicated to recipes that taste just like their recipes however.  The shrimp recipe is on there but I see 2 problems.  First I am not sure where you can find shrimp that large around here.  And second, if I found the shrimp, it is a lot of work and I would be devastated to ruin said shrimp on an experiment.... However, I found this gem and it is an amazing likeness.  I will try out the egg foo yung and report back. There is also the chow mein recipe but my boys are not celery fans so message me if you want that one. 

1 medium pork tenderloin cut into 1 inch slices
1 - 2 Tbsp oil
salt and pepper
20 oz. can pineapple chunks in juice, drained but juice reserved
1/4 c. orange juice (see notes)
1/3 c. dark brown sugar, packed
2 - 3 Tbsp cornstarch (see notes)
1/2 c. chicken broth
1/4 c. cider vinegar
2 1/2 Tbsp soy sauce - I have used low sodium and regular both work fine
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
3/4 c. thinly sliced green bell pepper
3/4 c. thinly sliced onion
chopped green onion and cilantro for garnish (optional)
steamed or fried rice to serve with

Season pork slices with salt and pepper.  Add in large skillet to hot oil and brown for about 3 minutes  per side.  Remove pork and keep warm. 

In same skillet, add pineapple juice (and orange juice).  Cook and stir to deglaze pan for about 2 minutes.  Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine brown sugar and corn starch.  Stir in broth, soy sauce, and ginger and cook until mixture returns to a boil and thickens.  Add onions, peppers, and pork and return to boil.  Reduce heat and let simmer for a couple more minutes. 

Serve over rice and garnish with green onion and cilantro.

Notes:

Every can of pineapple I have used only yields 3/4 c. juice so I add another 1/4 to equal 1 c. total.  You can use more pineapple or the orange.  Either way tastes just fine.

The original recipe calls for 3 Tbsp of cornstarch.  I thought the first batch was too thick so I had to add more broth.  I would start with 2 Tbsp and if you like it thicker you can always add 1 more Tbsp to a bit more broth and thicken it more.  I have found that 2 is plenty.

No comments: